New Poll

This is my temporary home
Neal Cassidy
 Posted: Jun 15 2017, 11:32 PM

Original [Rumpelstiltskin. Peter Pan]

Enchanted Forest

Emma is online

32 years old / 1185 posts

Do you feel cold and lost in desperation?

Neal had once again gotten the alert that he was being sent away to another new home. He didn't have much hope with this one either, since his times at each home was getting shorter. All Neal wanted was to be able to stay somewhere for long enough to have it considered a home. More then just temporary accommodation.

These days, Neal didn't even get his hopes up, and, he just waited for the letter revealing the fact that he was leaving the home. Neal, more then anything, wanted to not get that letter for once. Or get adopted for once, but, being nearly 15 made him almost impossible to get the eyes of couples wanting to do that.

Neal was close to being dumped back on the streets before getting this letter anyway, so, it made things a bit easier to deal with. The social worker probably wouldn't have cared about where he had ended up, if the foster parents had kicked him out rather then sent away from it.

He felt weird when most of his foster homes were in Arizona, but, this one was strangely in Minnesota. Neal didn't know why he was bouncing through states, but, he had learnt not to question anything about it these days. Neal had hopped into the social workers van, with the few belongings he'd had, preparing himself for this new foster home. Neal had been alone since being abandoned, it had been about a year, since he had landed back in this world from Neverland.

And it never got any easier.

Neal had found himself falling asleep in the van, as they made the drive to the place in Minnesota he was supposed to be going to. Soon, he found himself being shaken awake by the social worker. He groaned as he woke up, and, blinked a couple of times as the sun shone into his eyes.

Grabbing his backpack, Neal placed it over his shoulder, and, stepped out of the van. Walking with the social worker, Neal kept the straps in his hands, taking a close look at the house. It seemed kind of nice from the outside, but, Neal wasn't going to let appearances be the thing that tells him that the home was a good or nice one.

Soon, the two of them reached the front door, and, he let out a soft sigh before looking up at the social worker, Neal returned the social workers smile, as he tried to hide his nerves.

Neal glanced back at the front door, as the social worker knocked on it. He didn't know what to expect when the door opened, but, there was only one way to find out. Neal let out a couple of deep breaths, as the door opened, and, he spotted a nice looking lady on the other side of it.

Ingrid

--------------------
user posted image
Made by Bach
user posted image
PM
^
Ingrid
 Posted: Jun 19 2017, 01:09 PM

The Snow Queen/Frozen

Arendelle

Jessica is online

47 years old / 44 posts

the funny thing about time -
WE ROMANTICISE THE GOOD AND FORGET THE BAD
"Kevin! Kevin!" Ingrid's knuckles wrapped at the door. "Kevin! Are you dressed?" A mumble came from inside and she exhaled sharply, leaning her head against the door and closing her eyes. Oh God. Her eyelids were drooping dangerously as she leaned against the door. "Kevin," she said, her words dragging on each syllable, "Please, please, tell me you're dressed." Could you sleep in this position, like a horse? Her eyelids...so heavy..."Leave me alone!" The shout from the other side of the door jarred her from sleep and she started. She hit the door with the flat of her hand. "Come on, Kevin!"

"Ma'am!" Ingrid turned to see a girl looking for her attention. She smiled weakly. "Hey Sophie." The eleven year old was holding her lunchbox. "There's no more bread for the sandwiches." Ingrid blinked, the words sinking in. "Oh!" She thought quickly. "There's more in the drawer sweetie, go look under the cake tin." "But there's no - "

"Ma'am!"
The Snow Queen wheeled around. "What's up, Leo?" Leo crossed his arms and stood his ground. "I don't want the new kid with me! He's going to muck up my books and he'll smell and he'll - " "He has to be with you Leo," Ingrid said, forcing herself to remain patient. "There's no other room. We can't have him with the girls, can we?" Leo nodded enthusiastically at the idea, and Ingrid suddenly realised she'd actually given him the idea. And by god was he running with it. "Yes we can!" Ingrid exhaled sharply. "No, no we can't. I'm sure he'll love your books just as much as you do."

"But I don't want - " "There's no bread, I've checked!" "Ma'am!" "Ella won't give me my bear back!" Ingrid glanced up at the next floor, where she heard the ominous sound of more feet running down the stairs like the pounding of a war drum. Oh rock trolls, not more of them. "No more questions! I'm busy!" Before anyone else could ask her anything she darted downstairs to the kitchen, escaping from the incessant questions of the other children. Not that she was running away, of course. Surely not.

Normally, of course, this wouldn't happen. She'd get an alert long in advance telling her that she'd be receiving a new child to look after and there would be plenty of time to prepare the beds, to talk the kids around the idea of someone new coming, time for getting clothes and all the other necessities it took to make a group foster home. By the time the child arrived Ingrid would've set everything up so the arrival ran smoothly and the child could get settled to his or her surroundings. She had it down to a 'T' now - a smooth running machine of children coming in and children coming out.

Except for today.

She had just finished the final chapter of 'The Snow Queen' when the call came, late last night - that shrill tone that she'd never gotten used to. When the woman at the other end said it was the social worker at Twin Cities she'd dropped her copy. For a moment her hopes had soared. Was it her? This time, was it the girl she had come to this world to find? Was she finally going to meet her third sister - truly magical, truly meant to be her sibling and hers alone? Every time they called her heart would be in her mouth.

No. It was a boy, previously housed in Arizona. He needed a home, and of course she was the next one on the list. Normally Ingrid would be happy to take him in. Her job was to find Emma, but now she found herself in this job she liked to help the children. But there was one problem. After this she'd be at maximum capacity. Six was the maximum, and even five kids was pushing it. If Emma was in the system and needed a home Ingrid's wouldn't even be considered - she'd be completely swept over as a candidate. For a little while, she'd be unable to house her sister.

The thought was weighing heavily on her mind as she came down the stairs. But just as she'd put her foot on the last step the door rang. Ingrid craned her neck back up the stairs. "It's him!" She could hear the children upstairs repeating what she said as she went to the door. "It's him!" They wouldn't come downstairs. House rules were that Ingrid dealt with new kids by herself. She ran her hand through her hair and opened the door. Sure enough, there was the social worker - and the child. "Oh, hello." She smiled. Any sort of hassle from before, from getting ready, instantly evaporated from her face - she was once again back to being perfectly calm and composed. Her voice was quiet and soft. "You must be Ned - " She shook her head to herself. "Neal, even. Please, come inside." She opened her door wider invitingly.

ADD.: Neal Cassidy | WORDS: 844 | NOTES:

--------------------
user posted image
Wonderful graphics by Bach!
PMAIM
^
Neal Cassidy
 Posted: Jun 24 2017, 07:30 PM

Enchanted Forest

Emma is online

Neal looked at the building as he walked up to it, feeling overwhelmed by the size of it. It seemed a bit bigger then his past group homes, but, it probably just meant that there were more kids inside it, then there had been in his past homes. If he could even call them that.

He didn't like that he had pretty much not even had a gap between getting sent back by his last family, and, being thrown into this one. Neal knew that the only family he had ever truly wanted or felt was back in London, but, that was centuries ago. The Darlings were long gone, he was sure of it, but, it didn't mean he hadn't wanted to stay with them.

Neal looked down, and, soon found himself gripping onto the stone that hung around his neck. He had kept it since Neverland, and, it would be one of the biggest reminders of the last place he'd ever truly had some kind of friends. Even if he had hated the place.

As he walked closer to the door, Neal heard the commotion from the people inside of the house. Well, he had definitely had his feeling confirmed, there were a lot of kids in this home. He wasn't even sure how she was going to have room for him. It probably just meant he was sharing his room with someone else that he didn't know. It was something he'd gotten used to, bunking with random boys he didn't know.

Looking at the door, Neal watched the woman on the other side of it. Neal gave a soft sigh as she couldn't even get his name right at first. “Yeah Neal. Thanks.” Neal said, as he made his way inside the house. Neal was sure that he wasn't going to feel any happier in this home then he had in the previous ones.

Ingrid

--------------------
user posted image
Made by Bach
user posted image
PM
^
Ingrid
 Posted: Jun 30 2017, 05:17 PM

The Snow Queen/Frozen

Arendelle

Jessica is online

47 years old / 44 posts

God, getting the boy's name wrong on the first try. It had to go down as one of the worst things to do when meeting a new charge. Still, he seemed to take it well - blankly, as if it didn't matter. As Neal headed on in she glanced to the other woman. "He'll be fine," she said, giving the social worker a wide smile. The woman only gazed dully at her back, already looking at her watch. She had a stack of papers under her arm and Ingrid could see from the slanted lettering the names of other children - other jobs she had to do today. Neal was just one of many, and this was just a job for her. "Got some forms," she said, with a voice that lacked both imagination and personality. Ingrid blinked. "Oh, right."

Despite the charmless social worker, everything was quickly finalised and the social worker's car went puffing down the road. Ingrid closed the door and turned around, seeing her newest charge wander further into the house. She looked up the stairs and saw several pairs of curious eyes looking down at her - Sophie, Leo and, believe it or not, Kevin, all peering for a first look at the new arrival. She shook her head silently. No! When a new child was coming into the house she wanted to have the chance to get to know them - and keep them from being swamped by inquisitive other kids like an animal being prodded at a zoo. Slowly and surely, she always said. It was a method that worked well for the kids, and one that she now swore by. One day she'd do it for Emma, too, and then her mission would finally come to an end. But that time was not now, and for the moment she had another child to look after. And despite the fact that Emma couldn't come with her now, she had to...had to manage her irritation. For now.

The former Ice Queen followed him into the kitchen. Neal looked rather sweet, really. He didn't look like the kind of kid that could be violent, she noticed as she watched him. She had had a few of them in the past, when she had first been starting out and she hadn't known any better. Now she tried to get only the kids with milder natures. Emma, she knew, wouldn't be violent. She knew it in her heart. "My name's Ingrid, Neal," she said, breaking the silence. "I manage the foster home. You'll be with five other children here. I know it's all a bit short notice but you'll be fine, trust me. There's plenty of time to settle in." She inclined her head. "Do you want any juice?" she offered gently, going to open a cupboard - helpfully labelled 'snack cupboard' and with a padlock firmly affixed - marks of the other children. Leo liked his midnight snacks. Speaking of which..."A snack? You must be hungry. Arizona's pretty far away."

ADD.: Neal Cassidy | WORDS: 504 | NOTES:

--------------------
user posted image
PMAIM
^
Neal Cassidy
 Posted: Jul 2 2017, 12:46 AM

Enchanted Forest

Emma is online

The fact that this woman hadn't even bothered to get his name right, proved that maybe this was going to be another foster parent that didn't really care. And, what else could he expect these days? Neal just kept his hands in the pocket of his hoodie as he walked inside the house. Neal just took a look around for a moment, not so much for sizing, but, more to see if there was anything actually worth staying in this house for. Neal just continued to stand there, as he heard the woman Ingrid talking with his social worker. When he was on his way to this home, Neal thought about the same thing he always thought about, that maybe his father might actually show up before he's taken to a new home. Not so much about being adopted, because he knew that ship had sailed a long time ago. But, there was a small part of him, underneath the anger and pain, that thought that maybe he could actually be out there looking for him. That the man did want him. Even a little bit. But, that thought left his head as quickly as it had entered it, and, he went back to reality. With the thoughts of his father turning up gone, and, a new foster parent to focus on.

Neal knew that this house did seem somewhat more welcoming then the others he'd been a part of. His gaze went upstairs as he heard the sound of more feet up there. He was trying to guess how many other kids were actually living in here, but, he gave up trying to guess. Neal was waiting for them to come down, and, start just staring at, or judging him. He just kept his grip on his backpack, as he continued to just stand there, and, inspect the house. Neal didn't want any trouble he just wanted to have somewhere to sleep, while he was at an age where he wasn't allowed to be on his own. Neal knew that with the last minute stuff this woman, Ingrid, was probably annoyed by having to make room for him so suddenly as she had.

Soon he found himself going to the kitchen. That was one thing he always liked in the homes. At least there was food. Unlike other kids in his situation, Neal wasn't really the violent type that was for sure. He had witnessed enough violence in his past through his time in Neverland, and, with his father. To know that he never wanted to do that to someone. Hearing the woman speak, he jumped only slightly in response to his surprise at the sudden voice. “Nice to meet you Ingrid.” Neal said, trying to be polite in the process. “Yeah that's what the caretakers always say. But, I gotta give you credit. You do seem more genuine then the others in the past.” Neal said, sighing softly. “Uh, sure I guess.” Neal kept his backpack straps in his hands, as he looked at the woman. She seemed to be unlocking a cupboard, which meant that there was a reason for that. “Yeah that would be good actually. It honestly didn't feel that long, I slept for most of it. But, I wasn't having any luck in group homes back there, so, they thought why not ship me off to another state? See if I have any success in a home here.”

Ingrid

--------------------
user posted image
Made by Bach
user posted image
PM
^
Ingrid
 Posted: Jul 17 2017, 01:22 PM

The Snow Queen/Frozen

Arendelle

Jessica is online

47 years old / 44 posts

Ingrid noted how her newest charge jumped a little as she spoke, but she didn't say anything. To apologise for startling him was to draw attention to it, and she knew better than to undermine a kid who was probably trying to be very brave. Instead she smiled and nodded at his polite response. Yeah, this looked like a nice kid...though she knew to not get too attached to first appearances. Children could think they were clever, but as a foster mother she'd seen plenty of behaviour and nothing was really new to her. Some children liked to act polite just to earn their caretakers' trust, only to betray that trust later. Kids in the system were always that bit more canny, and it was a sad fact that they had to be.

The woman always found herself thinking about Arendelle, and what they did for orphaned children there. It was far more informal, and more simple. Relatives usually took on children who didn't have a home and kids didn't end up in places like this. But that was not the same here, where kids were shuffled around the country like they were boxes of goods, like commodities to be bought and sold. In contrast to Arendelle this world was so much bigger, so vast, so expansive, so...unkind. In many ways it was colder than her kingdom had ever been.

Her mind always went back to her homeland - more than she really wanted to. Time and time again she reminded herself it wasn't her land anymore, that this was the world she was in because she had a job to do. But Ingrid couldn't just shake off home. "...You credit." She suddenly clicked onto the conversation again, a brief glimmer of confusion crossing her features until she understood what he meant. She smiled, her blue eyes twinkling. "I try to be. But there's no point fostering children if you don't genuinely want to look after them." Too late she realised he'd probably object to being called a child, but that was what he was; that was why he was here, in the system. They did tend to protest at that age. Funny, because as a child she'd never wanted to grow up in a million years to claim her throne.

"Let me see if I can find some cookies, then." She rummaged around in the cupboard but as he spoke she glanced back at him. "That's alright. New state, new start." Ingrid was careful to keep her tone neutral, but her eyes couldn't help flickering across the cupboard to where she'd put his files. He probably meant that he just didn't like it there in his past homes, but she was careful to know as much as she could about her kids. Well, not her kids. The foster kids. She finally found the biscuits and turned around to the counter, getting out a plate to put them on. "Well, let's hope you do." She gave him a serious look. " I don't take kids for short term periods, Neal." And she hated herself for it. It was all right to be ethical about looking after children - until she herself got blocked up and couldn't take on Emma. Even though it had been a matter of minutes since her newest charge had entered the house, Ingrid found herself twitchy. What if Emma was being moved to a foster home right now?

It was ridiculous to think that, she knew, but it was hard for her to be in any way civil to this boy. She had to just take a deep breath and keep going, keep that calm, patient exterior. He might be gone soon - who knew?

Taking a cookie for herself, the Snow Queen sat herself down and moved the plate towards him. She could tell that her newest charge was still holding onto his backpack. "It's okay," she said, nodding to the bag. "You can let go of it, you know. We respect each other's belongings here." Mentally she reminded herself to be careful of Kevin, who had a habit of having sticky fingers. Perhaps a reminder about ownership was needed.

ADD.: Neal Cassidy | WORDS: 695 | NOTES:

--------------------
user posted image
PMAIM
^
Neal Cassidy
 Posted: Aug 12 2017, 09:34 PM

Enchanted Forest

Emma is online

Ever since going to Neverland, Neal had been a bit jumpy when he heard random voices coming from behind him. But, he also knew that everyone who made him jump on that island was long behind him now. Besides this woman actually seemed kind of nice, compared to his foster parents back in Arizona. But, then again he wasn't going to judge solely based on appearances, since he had thought that about a few foster parents in the past. They act nice at first, and, then show their true colours, leading him to realise that he had to get out of here. A lot of them seemed to be nice until the social workers leave, and, then they decide to ignore him after showing him a room to stay. They needed to put up a front, but, only when people came to visit the homes.

Neal found himself thinking of one of the first families he'd ever had. They actually were genuinely a nice family, and, actually gave a crap about him. But, he had knew that it wouldn't last. Neal had left it behind when he had needed to make a choice, and, it came down to protecting them. He wasn't going to let anything happen to them, and, he was ok with that. Even if he was now stuck in this situation where he was nothing more then a bag of trash or goods that can be traded or thrown away when they take up too much room. This world wasn't a kind one, but, he had accepted that a while ago.

His mind always went back to his time with the Darlings, sadly that wasn't his home now, and, he was here. The Enchanted Forest wasn't his land anymore, and, luckily now neither was Neverland, he was just a kid living in this world without magic. Neal knew that thinking back on that was only going to just end up with more heartbreak and sad thoughts again. Neal just came out of those memories as he began to speak to this woman Ingrid again. “Well some of the parents don't think that way. They just want the money that comes with fostering kids like us.” Neal knew that he wasn't a kid much anymore, but, he had to be called that until he turned 18. According to the system, he wasn't allowed to call himself anything else. But, people never really used the word child when describing him. But, being on Neverland for like 2 centuries, he sadly still looked like a child.

“Alright sounds good to me.” Neal said, as he looked at the woman. He just leant against the table as he took a seat in what he'd found. “Yeah, that's what my social worker said when he brought me here.” Neal kept his tone neutral, trying not to let his feelings show about the whole being rejected so long that he needed to move to another part of the country to do just that. Most of the places he didn't like, but, the rest of them just kicked him out when it suited them, or his usefulness became lacking. Neal didn't know much about the foster parents, but, that's only because they didn't take the time to let him get to know them. And, the kids he was in the homes with never wanted to try and get to know him. “Yeah let's hope.” Neal said, as he noticed her bringing the cookies over. “Well that would be a change I'm sure.” Neal knew that a couple of parents had told him that before, but, he had somehow ended up on the streets anyway, when they had found that another kid needed a house, and, with them being younger they would get the money from them for longer then they would with him, and, he would be the one dumped out. Neal could sense that there was something off about this woman, who didn't seem to want him here, despite the stuff she was saying. He'd been on his own long enough to pick up on the facial expressions from the foster parents.

Neal would give Ingrid a couple of days, before he made up his mind about whether he would runaway from this one or not. He didn't want to have to again, but, if she didn't want him here, he would make both of their lives easier.

Despite sitting at the counter, he had kept his backpack over his shoulders. Neal didn't trust people, especially when he'd only just walked into the house. He took a cookie anyway, but, he gave a soft smile in her direction anyway. “I know. I just... I guess I'm just nervous.” Neal said, looking at her, before he let the straps go, but, kept it on his shoulders for now, not quite sure he was ready to trust just yet.

Ingrid

--------------------
user posted image
Made by Bach
user posted image
PM
^
Ingrid
 Posted: Aug 28 2017, 06:57 AM

The Snow Queen/Frozen

Arendelle

Jessica is online

47 years old / 44 posts

Ingrid took a bite out of her cookie. This Neal was chatty enough, but what he had to say wasn't exactly positive. It gave her food for thought.

Some people did see fostering as just a business - and so did she, in a way. She couldn't deny that she needed the money and as an ex-Royal she had essentially no practical skills. Jobs at shops was all she was able to do without qualifications or one of these legendary 'diplomas', whatever they were, and it had been hard enough just getting a post as a foster mother. She had no other way of earning a decent living, and that was one of the first shocks she'd had upon coming here. That and asking a confused taxi driver where all the horses were on his seemingly horse-less carriage.

But that was ages ago. Fostering was a business to her, but it was more than that. It was a way of finding her sister. Elsa was lost, and there was nothing she could do about that until she got back to Arendelle and tracked down Rumplestiltskin. And she was going to do that, was ready to give up the hat to do such a thing, until she found that the Apprentice had a one time offer to find Emma. If she could Ingrid would've torn herself in half to find both of them at the same time; it didn't feel right to go after one when one of them was still around. But the magician had made it clear; she would never get a chance again to find Emma. She tried to rationalise it in her head. Emma was the one who was conscious, was out there without parents. Elsa was hopefully blissfully unaware of her own condition - and one thing about Rumplestiltskin was that he wasn't going to let go of his magical possessions without a fight, so in a way Elsa was safe from him. She was doing the right thing by being here.

But that was her old life, and she couldn't reply back to Neal with any of that. That was all for Emma to hear - the Great Rescue and then the happy ending that would follow. And a child from this world couldn't hope to understand all of that, she knew. She would be wasting her breath. So she nodded, and she was silent.

"I'm glad you know. Stealing is against the house rules." "I guess I'm just nervous." "You will be," she said. "That's normal." Unfortunately she'd had enough experience to be able to say that. The kids who came into her care often were nervous - and who wouldn't be? Going to a new place, being told that they were going to live there until they turned eighteen - or until something else happened? It was an uncertain future. Yet had Ingrid been any better off, with her definitely certain future? As a child she had no doubt where and how she was going to end up. She was going to end up queen, and that was the long and short of it - and everything up until that point was in preparation for her reign. Yet that certainty hadn't helped her at all. In fact she'd been even more worried because she knew exactly how her life was going to plan out...or so she'd thought, and so everyone else had thought.

Childhood wasn't easy, even if you didn't have ice powers.

She could relieve some of it for the new arrival, though, and it came to her that she hadn't given him any information. At least, no information that told him anything about the home and what his life was going to be like here. She swallowed. "I should probably tell you about the home, give you a bit of background." She cleared her throat. "I'm Ingrid, like I told you. 'Ma'am' or 'Ingrid' works fine," she reassured him. "I don't have a partner, so it's just me."

She tried to seem neutral about that, without intimating anything. For all her saying childhood wasn't easy kids were cruel, as well, and some had commented on her lack of a partner in the past, tried to make out that she was somehow worse off because of it. In truth Ingrid hadn't had time. When looking after the numbers of kids she was looking after there just wasn't time for anything, much. And beside that - why would she want a husband, a wife or anything inbetween when she had her mind on much bigger things? She was waiting for her sister. Everything else was taken to the side. How could she ever want to go dating when her sister was still -

Ingrid was going off the point. She shifted in her chair. "You're now one of six kids I have here. There's Ella, Leo, Kevin, Sophie and Lucy. Lucy's the eldest, Sophie's been here the longest and you'll be sharing a room with Leo." Much to Leo's chagrin, she thought to herself. God, she hoped that ended up being alright. Kevin would pitch a fit if he had to share a room with anyone and, besides, she wasn't too keen on having Neal stay with Kevin anyway. He had a nasty streak. "Umm..." She nibbled on her cookie, thinking about what else he needed to know. "Lights out is at ten at the very latest. Wake up at seven, school bus comes at eight. Richfield schools starts around eight thirty and end at three." She was going to go on, but then she hesitated. "I'm - I'm afraid I don't remember what grade you were in."

ADD.: Neal Cassidy | WORDS: 945 | NOTES:

--------------------
user posted image
PMAIM
^
Neal Cassidy
 Posted: Sep 24 2017, 12:12 AM

Enchanted Forest

Emma is online

Neal took a bite of the cookie that he had been offered. He didn't really talk all that much to people, since bad experiences meant there was no real point in opening up.

Every foster home he'd been in, he and the other kids had all been seen simply as meal tickets. In the house simply for the money, and, not because they actually cared about any of them. And, yes he understood that people needed money to live, but, there were other ways to do it, as opposed to giving kids false hope of a family, or a permanent place to stay. Heck, he'd found a way to make money the first time he'd run from the system, and, it hadn't involved anything to do with giving kids false hope.

Although that was a long time ago. That freedom was bringing him what he had wanted. But, it was too good to be true. Neal had lost his family a long time ago, his mother had taken off when he was 5, his father had let him go through that portal alone, in order to stay the Dark One, and, keep that power. Neal had been more then happy to give up everything for a chance to be with his father, which is why he had made that deal with him, and, gotten that magic bean. But, that time had long since past, his father hadn't wanted him, and, he'd missed his chance at a family. No-one wanted a teenager around, they all wanted kids that were younger, and, the older kids were always just bounced around until they aged out. Although at the same time, Neal was sure that without him around, his father would continue to manipulate people, or make deals that seem more dangerous, then anything else. And, no-one would have the power to stop him if he needed that.

But, that was the past. His old life. That was just for him, and, his father to know about. He wasn't sure that a woman from this world would even understand that. So it was best to just keep the whole truth about his situation to himself. It would be a waste of time anyway, she probably wouldn't care anyway.

“Noted. That's usually how it works.” Neal said, letting out a soft sigh, before giving a gentle nod. “Guess it is nice to be normal for a while.” Neal knew that he had never really been normal, no matter how much he wanted. Back in the Forest, he had stopped being normal the moment he'd become the son of the Dark One. But, now he was normally just a nervous kid. He was uncertain about what was going to happen anymore. The only thing in his life that was certain was that he stopped being a foster kid, or their problem once he turned 18. Neal had once been so sure of his future, he and his father were going to be a family, and, he would never stopped being loved by him no matter what happened. But, now who even knew anymore? His plan hadn't gone the way he had expected it to, and, now he was in this situation. So he wasn't certain of anything anymore.

Childhood was hard. And, that's without being known simply as the son of the Dark One.

Neal could tell part of it to this woman, but, he would be careful with the story he told. Neal had worked out a story that would make him not seem crazy when it came to how he had ended up alone, leading him to the foster system. But, he had no real information when it came to anything. “Uh sure. Sounds good.” Neal said, before he just listened to the woman tell him about the home, and, how things worked.

That comment about no partner didn't really matter to Neal. He had been raised by a single parent since he was 5, although he also had seen how things had changed there when he had gotten scared. Neal didn't care if they were on their own, with a partner, married, or just having a group of them working together. He had a lot more important things to focus on then whether there was two of them or not. So he didn't really think asking was relevant right now.

Neal came out of his thoughts as he heard the woman speak again. Yet, another place where he didn't have his own room. He supposed he should be used to that. Neal had never really seen any of them as anything besides another boy who he was forced to share his room with. So Leo was his roommates name, he could remember that. And, he was sure that things would be ok, or at least tolerable, since he was sure this place may not last long enough to truly have a connection, just like everywhere else. Neal just kept his hands in the pockets of his hoodie, as he just leant against the counter, and, continued to look at the woman, who continued to explain. So, another new school was on the cards then. That was great. Neal went to take his backpack off, before he heard the woman's next comment, which he had to actually answer, and, in surprise he knocked it over, causing what was inside of it to fall to the floor. “Oh um 9th.” Neal said, before bending down and pushed the contents back in, before picking up his sketch book that had fallen on the floor.

--------------------
user posted image
Made by Bach
user posted image
PM
^
Ingrid
 Posted: Oct 8 2017, 08:23 AM

The Snow Queen/Frozen

Arendelle

Jessica is online

47 years old / 44 posts

Maybe the answer to that question was that she just saw fostering to a means to an end too. She was hardly in it for the children themselves. Only for one, very special, child. Ingrid shifted her weight on the chair. Favouritism - something she never thought she’d have. But she brushed the thought away.

Normal. The ex Snow Queen looked to Neal. She wondered what that meant - in a family she supposed. Not hopping from home to home, not bouncing around a care system. Ingrid was careful not to ask what had happened to him before, how he’d got into this. Presumably he hadn’t been born into it. She remembered the first time she had had a foster kid and had mistakenly asked him about his life - she winced now, her eyes fluttering shut for a moment in a little cringe where she sat. She’d learnt since then. People didn’t ask questions - shouldn’t, really. Including her. Instead she just let that comment pass.

But the irony, on the other hand…something crossed over her face. Normal meant something very, very different to her. Little did he know that this was the least normal place he could be right now. But she passed as normal well enough, she thought. Enough to pretend to be one of these people. The ordinaries. The ones without magic. People like Gerda, she thought. How ironic, that she had to live like the sister who disowned her - like her sister’s daughter Anna, even. They’re all the same. Always. They’d hunt her down if they knew. They always did. They didn’t understand. They were jealous. Callous. Suspicious. That wasn’t favouritism - this was different. It was certainly more important, too. The difference between magical and non magical people almost separated them off into different species. They were the wrong ones, the weird ones - even here, in this new, electrical, digitalised world.

She swallowed down her hatred. It was a delicate balance. Magic didn’t work here, so that was one thing - any telltale snowflakes were off the table immediately. Ingrid had missed her magic - and still did - but at least no one saw anything. Not the kids, not the foster care system, not anyone while she was doing the grocery shopping. Without her magic she could feel normal, too; she could blend in with the rest of them. Sometimes even she forgot she had powers, until she remembered the Apprentice’s scroll tucked in a drawer in her room, kept hidden and far from the curious eyes of the kids. Yeah. As long as he didn’t see that, Neal would think this home normal enough. Here’s hoping.

Neal didn’t seem to…react to anything she was saying. He was thoughtful, maybe a million miles away from what she was saying. Ingrid studied him a little before going to nibble on her cookie once more. Maybe he was shy - or tired. Even thinking about tiredness reminded Ingrid of her early start this morning and she went to suppress a yawn. Maybe her newest charge was trying to make a good impression but so was she, after all. Far from the theorising inside her head, that thick line between the ordinaries and the magical people, was the real life she was living - and had to live, right now. "Ninth." She nodded to herself. "That’s alright…"

She was going to go on, but suddenly his backpack dropped to the floor. The noise cut through the hubbub of their discussion. She looked up - only to hear the distinct paddings of feet on floorboards, the other children instead startling at the noise. Still interested in Neal, then. Of course they were. She looked back to Neal only to see that some things had come out of his backpack. "Oh, can I help?" She leant forward - but he’d already got hold of a big book of some kind. She frowned. "What’s that?"

ADD.: Neal Cassidy | WORDS: 656 | NOTES:

--------------------
user posted image
PMAIM
^
Neal Cassidy
 Posted: Oct 15 2017, 01:42 AM

Enchanted Forest

Emma is online

Neal knew that normal may be a bad choice of words, his life hadn't been normal in a long time, and, it probably never would be again. At least not while he was in the system. He didn't want to think about his past, how he had gotten into this situation. If he focused on it too much, he would just end up making his heart break all over again, and, it'll bring down the walls he had been building up for years. He knew that there were some kids who were born into this situation, but, he wasn't one of them. A part of him just wasn't sure which situation was worse. Never having known your parents, or having memories of them abandoning you. A part of him just hoped that she wouldn't ask him about any of it. Neal just hoped that he wouldn't harp on that too much.

There were certain things Neal would classify as normal, but, Neal could sense when things weren't normal. He had spent the last few months of his time in the Forest with his father surrounded by magic, and, for some strange reason he could sense that partly in here, but, maybe that was just because of what he had grown up with. But, that thought passed just as quickly as it had come. There was nothing like that in this world, they were all just normal. It was exactly what he'd wanted when he had taken that bean to go to this world. Even if something was missing. Or someone. Neal had come to realise that his father hadn't wanted to be normal again. He had just wanted to keep the magic, only because he was afraid of being normal, not feared, which meant that he was forced to live in this situation now. Yes, he had never been with magic himself, but, he didn't want to see it ever again. It had ruined his father, and, had torn him away from one of the last real families he would ever have. And, it had kept him physically looking like a teenager for centuries, trapped in a place cursed with magic everywhere.

But, he quickly swallowed down that hatred, and, shook those images out of his head. Neal seemed to even forget that he was from a place like that, and, he didn't miss it at all. No-one suspected anything luckily, which made his life a lot easier. Not the foster parents, not his social worker, no-one. The thing that usually brought back those memories was the sketch-book which contained all the pictures from that place, and, of the parents that hadn't wanted him. As long as he didn't have to look at that forever, then he would be happy. He could feel normal.

He knew he should react to what this woman was saying, but, his thoughts were drifting in and out, and, also with his walls up, he wasn't really someone to openly communicate with foster parents straight away. Besides the trip from Arizona to Minnesota had taken a lot out of him too, despite the sleep he took in the van up here. He held back a yawn that wanted to come, because he didn't want to seem rude. “Yeah, 9th.” Neal said, giving a soft smile, before hearing the stuff from his bag empty out.

He didn't want anyone to see certain things that were in there, it would show the things that were hinting from where he was really from. Hearing the noise from up above, Neal looked up, and, shook his head, before he just began picking everything up. “Oh, uh sure I guess.” Neal looked at Ingrid, before holding his sketch book in his hands. At the woman's question Neal just looked at her for a moment, before realising it may not hurt to tell her. “Just some sketches that I've done.” Neal decided to try and open up to her a bit more. “You can look if you want”

Ingrid // Neal is trying to open up more.

--------------------
user posted image
Made by Bach
user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

OUR AFFILIATES

skin by miss texas at cttw, cc, and shine