New Poll

It was not your fault but mine, tag Ruby/Kitty, Past
Callum Wallace
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 10:21 AM

Red Riding Hood

Enchanted Forest

Bach is online

52 years old / 10 posts

Months, it had been months if not more since everyone got their memories back after finding themselves in Storybrooke. The few weeks no one could remember the year or how they ended up in Storybrooke had been stressful for everyone, but particularly so for Callum. Since he hadn't been part of the first curse, and he had only just got his memories back a few months before the curse, he had felt completely out of sorts and confused, not even remembering his own name. Once he remembered though, then he felt a fear like he never imagined possible. There was Granny's Diner, and run by none other than Anita's mother. That could only have meant one thing, the woman who worked there, with the dark hair and whom everyone called Ruby, had to be his Maeven, it was the only thing that made sense.

There she was, finally within reach, but he suddenly felt like he had no idea what to say to her. How does one even approach that topic. Hi, I'm your father that gave you up as a baby because you would be safer with your grandmother and oh yea I haven't seen you since. He wasn't even really sure what Widow Lucas had told Maeven about himself or about Anita. He had never thought of Anita's mother as spiteful or hateful, protective yes, fierce certainly, but now that his daughter was grown up and so close, he suddenly imagined all sorts of worst case possibilities of what the woman might have told Maeven as she grew.

Once he had his memories back, he had decided to take on a bartender job at the Rabbit Hole and stayed in a rather small one room apartment over it. It night have been more comfortable at Granny's Bed and Breakfast or even at that other Dragonfly place, but he felt at least for now the small shabby place over the bar would do just fine. Perhaps it also reflected how he felt a bit, his anxiety and fear, his shame and regrets. He didn't drink though, which some felt was a bit odd for someone who served drinks, but ever since he had spent so many years with amnesia and then finding out the crazy cat lady had been using him, giving him potions in his food to keep him with her, somehow being drunk just made him even more nervous. He didn't like feeling not in control of himself, even before that really but certainly not now. He liked working there though, even if his Enchanted Forest job had been as a mayor, that had felt like another lifetime ago now, and as a bartender he liked listening to people's problems, feeling like he was a sounding board people could talk to and vent. Maybe since he didn't feel like he could fix his own problems and insecurities, he could at least help others with theirs.

He knew of course eventually he would have to say something to Maeven, or Ruby or whatever she was called here in Storybrooke. Eventually Granny might tell her, even though he'd tried his best to avoid the widow, it wouldn't last forever. He spent much of his time going over and over things he could say, ways he could start the conversation with his daughter, but no matter how many times he went over it in his head, he just didn't feel ready. He was a coward, plain and simple.

As he stood behind the bar, on a relatively slow evening though it was still a bit early, he suddenly realised that there were a few things he hadn't stocked yet. He glanced around, everyone seemed to have enough drinks to tide them while he slipped out back for a few minutes, he nodded over to Geralt, one of the bouncers and said he'd be right back.

Slipping into the stock room he suddenly found himself talking to himself out loud, going over mock conversation starters for his daughter.

Maeven, I mean er, Ruby, that's what they call you here isn't it. I don't know how else to tell you this, and I don't know maybe Widow Lucas already has, but I'm your father.............

Nope, that didn't feel right..........

Ruby, this isn't easy for me to say, but I'm your father, and there's a lot I want to tell you, and I'm sure you have many questions............

Nope, that didn't feel right either, he kicked an empty cardboard box across the stock room and sighed, running a hand through his hair. He was glad there wsn't anyone back there to hear him talking to himself, they'd probably have thought he was crazy.

Ruby Lucas
PMEmailGTalk
^
Ruby Lucas
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 11:21 AM

Little Red Riding Hood

Enchanted Forest

Kitty is online

30 years old / 163 posts

Things at Granny's had not been slow that day, the diner had been packed full of customers all day. Ruby had been rushing around all day, taking orders, bringing orders and cleaning up after people when they left. There hadn't even been time for her to take a break, every time she'd tried, more customers had arrived and Granny had called out for her to come help. So, when the diner finally closed for business that day, Ruby knew she needed to let off some steam. She knew she needed to go to the Rabbit Hole, to get a drink or three and dance for a bit. It wasn't something she did as often as she had during the first curse, but she still needed it on days like this.

At first, she had thought about calling Mary Margret and Ashley to asked them if they wanted to join her, but Mary Margret and Ashley were probably busy with their kids and their husbands for a girls night out with her, so she went on her own. The thought of asking Victor if he wanted to join her had crossed her mind too, but for some reason, she was too shy to ask him out. She didn't know why he made her feel so nervous, especially after all they had been through, he was one of the people in town who understood her best of all. But still, asking him out on a date was just something she didn't have the guts to do. Hopefully, that would change with time.

So, Ruby went to the Rabbit Hole on her own, making her way up to the bar to order her first drink, when she noticed that Cal wasn't behind the bar and there was no other wait staff around. Usually, she would be patient enough to wait for him to come back by himself, but she really needed that drink, and fast. So, she made her way to where she knew the stock room was, thinking he would be in there. She was just about to knock on the door when she heard Cal talking to himself and mentioning her name. So, she stopped to listen. And what she heard him say made her whole world stop spinning.

He was her father? How was that even possible? He died. Granny told her that her father had died, so how could he be there? Sure, she had also said that Anita was dead and that had been a lie. But after Ruby confronted her about that she had hoped that Granny had told her the truth about everything. It seemed she was wrong. That only made her angrier. So, she burst through the door to the stock room and looked at the man who was supposedly her father. "What did you just say? How are you my father?" She asked him as she moved further into the room, just staring at the man. "Didn't you die?"

Callum Wallace

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Callum Wallace
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 11:45 AM

Red Riding Hood

Enchanted Forest

Bach is online

52 years old / 10 posts

Being a werewolf, to have the sudden feeling of being a deer caught in headlights, was a bit unnerving for Callum. He hadn't been expecting anyone to walk in on him, and even then he imagined it probably would have just been the bouncer saying there were customers that needed to be served. He stopped and stared at his daughter as she was clearly upset and had clearly overheard him. Well, the truth was out, though this certainly had not been at all how he imagined it to go. Then again, what was it they said about the best made plans usually going to shit, or something like that. He had been so shocked by her sudden entrance into the stock room, that he had lost his grip on the box of beers he was holding and they crashed to the floor. The box didn't bust open, but it was clear from the sound of some breaking glass that some of the bottles inside had broken and were starting to spill out of the cracks in the box.

His hand went up to his head again, the hair cut he had gotten recently suddenly felt itchy or just generally awkward, like there should be more hair for him to run his fingers through, his heart was racing, and he suddenly felt for a moment like he couldn't even remember how to use the English language. Words, he needed words, he needed to stop staring at his daughter with fear and say something intelligent, something caring, something that would somehow magically fix the last however many decades it had been since he had put little Maeven into Widow Lucas's arms and went away hoping he was doing the right thing.

"Maeven, I uh, this isn't really how I planned this, I mean I hadn't really. I've been trying, there's just so much......" Wait, had she just said he died? Well, he supposed that was better than some of the things he had been imagining that Widow Lucas could have told his daughter, but he clearly wasn't dead, though he had been near death a couple of times. "Not dead, no, I don't really know why Widow Lucas told you that. Sorry, I mean, as many times as I've been practising this conversation, it's just really not going very well is it........."

Ruby Lucas
PMEmailGTalk
^
Ruby Lucas
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 04:05 PM

Little Red Riding Hood

Enchanted Forest

Kitty is online

30 years old / 163 posts

Callum wasn't the only one who felt like a deer in headlights, Ruby was feeling the same way, but for completely different reasons. She felt like her world was falling apart around her. Everything she thought she had known about her life, everything that Granny had told her as a child were lies. Why did Granny think that she had to lie to Ruby about everything? About her parents, about her being a werewolf, about her entire life? How much of what she had grown up believing was even true? Granny had told her that her father had died when she was a baby, and yet there he was, standing in front of her looking like he was genuinely scared.

The box of beer falling to the ground woke Ruby up from her thoughts of Granny and made her look at the man claiming to be her father. She had seen him around town so many times before, so why hadn't he come to her before? Why hadn't he been in her life from the beginning? Hadn't he wanted her? Ruby couldn't help but let her insecurities get the better of her, there could be many good reasons for him to not have been in her life, but she could only think of the bad reasons.

As soon as he called her Maeven her eyes went wide with surprise, hearing him call her her childhood name that had clearly been forgotten by everyone once she got her red cloak. But he knew her name. but she didn't have time to ask him about that, there were so many other questions she needed to ask right now. "How did you plan to do this? Because I really need you to explain to me why you have been here for so long without telling me who you are." Ruby wasn't even sure how she was feeling in that moment. She was angry that Granny had lied to her so much for so long, she had always wanted a father, Granny knew that, but still, she had lied about it.

Ruby couldn't help but scoff at what Cal said about Granny telling Ruby a lie. "Well, it seems she likes lying about everything important in my life, doesn't it?" She asked, though it was more aimed at herself, not her father.

Callum Wallace

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Callum Wallace
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 06:31 PM

Red Riding Hood

Enchanted Forest

Bach is online

52 years old / 10 posts

Callum noticed her eyes go wide when he used her name, as far as he was concerned it was her only name to him. Maeven, the name he had given her, the name that had been so important to him growing up and that he had wanted to pass down to HIS daughter. He couldn't give her much, he knew that from the start, and after giving her up he felt like at least she had one small part of him, at least he had done something, he had given her that small thing, a piece of her heritage. There was something about how she looked, something in her eyes, at that moment he realised the full weight of everything. He hadn't been there for her, he hadn't raised her, she had never really been his Maeven because he had given her up, believing it was the right thing to do, the only thing that he could do at the time while still trying to have a relationship with Anita. In all honesty if he had known that Anita would ultimately walk out on him, leaving in the middle of the night with no word and no note, he might have tried harder to fight to raise Maeven himself, but he could spend the rest of his life on what could have been, all he could really do now was try and move forward with what could now be.

He was trying to process everything Maeven was saying all at once, her questions, she deserved answers, but he also couldn't help but wonder what she meant when she said that Widow Lucas lied about other things as well. He did understand that sometimes people had to lie or hold back the truth to protect people, though he supposed that didn't really make the lies any easier to understand when the truth came out. In all fairness he couldn't even really know what her reasons had been for lying to Maeven, what knowing the truth could have hurt. Had Anita's mother believed that they would never see their daughter again, had she believed they had died. He had so many questions circling in his mind right now he could hardly think straight.

"I should have told you, I should have come to you the moment we all got our memories back and confessed everything, but when it comes right down to it all I can do is say that I'm a coward, that's the real reason why. I have pictured this day a million times before, ever since the day I left you with Widow Lucas, all the many ways it could play out, and at first it was a beautiful reunion, you were a little girl still, and I was this hero that rode in and swept you in my arms and swore I'd never leave you again. Then time passed and now you stand before me a grown woman, an amazing beautiful daughter that I feel I don't even deserve any more. What could I possibly say that would explain everything, make everything better. I wasn't sure what Widow Lucas had told you about me, if she'd even said anything. I suppose telling you I was dead is a bit better than some of the things I imagined......"

He sighed and ran his hand through his hair again, he felt like a man standing unarmed in a battle for his life. As he looked back up at Maeven, there was something about her, he could see himself in her eyes, but her mouth, her chin, the way she talked. It made him remember things he had long forgotten, back when him and Anita had been young and crazy in love, but how the two fought at times, usually over her view of humans. He knew one unequivocal truth though, in this moment, looking at his daughter, she was still the most perfect thing he had ever laid his eyes on, and that hadn't changed from when he had first met her after Anita gave birth.

Ruby Lucas
PMEmailGTalk
^
Ruby Lucas
 Posted: Nov 14 2017, 08:21 AM

Little Red Riding Hood

Enchanted Forest

Kitty is online

30 years old / 163 posts

Maeven had been her name once, it had been a name she preferred back when she had no idea what she was and what she had done. She didn't mind that people called her Red, it was just a nickname in her eyes, but she always called herself Maeven. Or that was until she figured out what she had done, until she figured out that she was the wolf who had killed all those people and eaten her own boyfriend. Then she put Maeven behind her, because to her that name represented the innocence of childhood, an innocence she no longer had. She couldn't in any good sense go by that name anymore. But here this man was, calling her her childhood name, like he either didn't know or didn't care what she had done in her past. Somehow, she liked how that made her feel, even if she was still mad as hell with the man calling her by that name.

As he tried to explain himself to her, she did her best to listen and try to process what he was telling her. But when he said that he had left her with Granny, her mind just stopped trying to process everything else he told her. Yes, he might also have said that he had wanted to get her back, but for some reason that didn't matter to her in that moment. "You left me? You gave me away? I thought Granny took me from you. That would have made sense, I could have dealt with that... somehow. But my mom running away because she wanted her freedom and my father giving me away? Why would you do that to me? Didn't you want me?" The questions were asked in anger, but her other emotions were slowly giving way now. There were tears forming in the corners of her eyes, but she quickly blinked them away. She didn't want him to see her cry.

Ruby wrapped her arms tightly around herself, trying to calm herself down, but it wasn't working. Everything seemed to be crumbling around her and there was nothing she could do to stop it. All she could do was stand there and watch as everything she had believed about her life was ripped away from her. "If Granny told me you were dead she probably wasn't planning on ever giving me back to you. She just wanted to raise me better than she had raised my mom, raise me to only be human and not wolf, like my mom became. Did you know that was how she raised me? Do you know what happened?" Ruby asked as a single tear finally fell, she couldn't hold it back anymore, her emotions were just too strong. She wanted to yell and scream and shout, but for some reason, she was just standing there, up against a wall with her arms wrapped around herself as she stared at her father.

Callum Wallace

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Callum Wallace
 Posted: Nov 19 2017, 05:24 PM

Red Riding Hood

Enchanted Forest

Bach is online

52 years old / 10 posts

Callum knew the longer and longer he had been away from his daughter, the harder and harder it would be to have the moment they were finally having. Still, somehow it felt even harder than he'd imagined, like the room was trying to suffocate him, and when he looked into his daughter's eyes the pain and sadness he saw made him wish he could find some small dark hole there in the stock room and crawl into it. He had to be brave, he had to be strong, he still desperately wanted to try and make it all up to her, somehow, someday, even if it took weeks or months or years, he wanted to look back on this one day as just the start of something better, the start of a relationship that would one day be as it always should have been.

Talking about the day he left Ruby with Widow Lucas was hard, it was also bringing up the painful memories of his parents deaths, not to mention Anita ultimately walking out on him in the end with no note or even a goodbye. Still, when he looked at Maeven, he had no regrets for the past, for being with Anita, for falling in love with her, because out of that had come Maeven, and she was perfect in his eyes.

"I didn't want........ if you think it was easy for me to hand you over to Anita's mother, but well you clearly already know what the situation with her was, and I had just lost my parents, murdered by feral wolves. I was young and barely holding my life together, let alone controlling my wolf. I was in no state to take care of a baby on my own, I had hoped, maybe with time I could get Anita to come around, change her mind, make her get her priorities in order but......"
He sighed and ran his hand through his hair again, trying to calm himself, trying to focus. Everything he said it just felt like some pathetic attempt to make the past better, to magically fix things that just couldn't be fixed that way.

Callum didn't know that Granny had tried to raise Maeven to be human, in all honesty he wasn't even sure how that would work. As far as he knew you couldn't cure the wolf, couldn't stop the wolf, so he had no idea how Granny had expected her to just be human. Between that and the pain in Maeven's voice, he felt like whatever she was asking him about if he knew, it was painful, and probably connected to her wolf, though that was more a gut feeling since he'd known many wolves in his long life. Seeing her hurt like this, it was crushing him on the inside, and it was all his fault. He should have tried harder, fought harder, something, anything.

He reached out his hand for a moment, he wanted to move to her, to pull her into his arms and just never let her go, to protect her from anything ever happening her again, but he was afraid if he tried to hug her she would just flinch away. He moved a step closer, slowly, his own eyes getting misty.

"I..... I don't know, I mean I didn't know. I did.... try once to go see if she'd let me take you back, you were still young, it had only been a couple of years, but she didn't believe I was ready. It was shortly after your mother left me......... Maeven, I wish I could make it all better for you, erase the past, I can't, just.......... you're my daughter, nothing's going to change that........I just........."

Ruby Lucas
PMEmailGTalk
^
Ruby Lucas
 Posted: Nov 21 2017, 02:47 PM

Little Red Riding Hood

Enchanted Forest

Kitty is online

30 years old / 163 posts

Ruby nodded almost in defeat when her father said that he had given her up so he could try and save his relationship with Anita. And for someone with abandonment issues like her, that was like a punch in the gut. That was something that was always going to happen to her, wasn't it? The people she should have mattered the most to always seemed to have other things in their lives that mattered more than her, things they didn't want to lose, so they gave her up instead of them. And if it wasn't that, then it was people not thinking she was good enough for them unless she chose to be something she wasn't. Granny wanted her to just be human and Anita wanted her to just be a wolf. But she couldn't just be either or, she was both at the same time. "Was it worth it, then? Giving me up so you could go be with my mom?"

Maybe her father hadn't meant to make it sound like he had given her up so he could keep something better, maybe he just meant to say that he had hoped that both he and Anita could someday get Ruby back. But she couldn't think straight in that situation, she was too confused, too upset, too emotional. she really didn't want to keep picking at her own abandonment issues, so she decided to point out the mistake in his choice to give her away. "If you couldn't raise me on your own, why couldn't you just have asked Granny to help you raise me instead of just handing me over to her? Don't you think that would have been better? If you did it like that, maybe you wouldn't have missed out on my entire life and maybe I wouldn't have ended up like a monster."

The way Ruby was feeling in that moment, the way her life was crashing and burning around her, she would have given anything for someone to hug her, help her feel like she would be okay. So, when he reached out his hand, she thought for a second that he might do it. But then he let his hand drop down to his side again, which only made more tears run down her cheeks. "If I'm your daughter, if I'm that important to you, why would you ever give me away to someone who lied to me my entire life? Someone who lied about you and my mother, who lied about what I am, someone who kept the truth from me and never tried very hard to stop me once I started killing the villagers or when I ate my boyfriend? Someone who let me become a monster because she wanted me to be human?" She asked him with more angry tears running down her face, before letting herself slide down the wall behind her to try and become as small as she possibly could. Hugging herself even tighter as she let her tears fall without fighting them.

Letting out that rant about how Granny had lied to her and let her down, made her realize that she had nowhere to go once she and her father were done talking. She couldn't go back to Granny, she just couldn't. Not after realizing how big her betrayal had really been. But where would she go, then?

Callum Wallace

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

OUR AFFILIATES

skin by miss texas at cttw, cc, and shine